Printer-friendly version

Current Size: 100%


11000 Carcassonne
Typical medieval bridge from the 14th century. Until the 19th century, it was the only link between the Bastide Saint Louis and the Medieval City. Exclusively reserved for pedestrians, it allows quick access to the Medieval City. The stone bridge which replaced the feudal structure formerly built upstream, on the site of the Roman bridge, dates from the beginning of the 14th century. The work was in progress in 1315, it was hardly to be completed until around 1320. A special tax had been instituted to cover the expense. In the twelve semicircular arches of the Carcassonne bridge, the opening diameters are uneven and their lengths vary between 10 and 14 meters. This shows that the work was carried out ark by ark, according to the resources. (1) “The bridge was divided into two parts by a stone arch, founded on a front and a rear spout, which formed the boundary of the two communities of the City and the Ville-Basse. This is where the peace treaties signed following the internal dissensions which often agitated the inhabitants of the two cities of Carcassonne were signed. The appearance of the bridge has only changed since 1820. At that time, there were still very light parapets, flanked by two graceful sidewalks. We know that two arches collapsed in 1436, but in addition to the repair that was made then, several other parts were altered in 1559 and even later, without however making it lose its original cachet. The restoration of 1820 is the one that most altered its old form. (2). “It was originally defended on the left bank by a formidable beachhead which enveloped almost all of the present suburb. On the side of the City, it connected to the defenses of the fortress by a line of flanked curtain walls. (1) In 1999, a study carried out by the City of Carcassonne and the Architect of the Monuments of France in conjunction with the State services made it possible to draw up a project to rehabilitate the eastern end of the Pont Vieux and from the entrance to rue Trivalle. The future reshaped ramp clears the magnificent facade of the old sheet factory which became a royal factory in 1695. The 13th arch to the east of the bridge has been cleared, the access ramp between the streets of Barbacane and Trivalle as well as the space between the facades of the buildings and the garden Pierre and Maria Sire are leveled and leveled, which allows to clear an esplanade used in car parking in the shade of a mall of newly planted plane trees. “At the entrance to the bridge, the chapel of Notre-Dame de la Santé is the only vestige of the city's oldest hospital. Although the exterior has been restored and the interior has undergone changes, it remains a fine example of 15th century architecture ”(3) (1) JP Cros-Mayrevieille - Les monuments de Carcassonne (2) La City of Carcassonne - History and description by Joseph Poux - Tome 1 (3) René Descadeillas - Carcassonne - Editions SAEP Colmar-Ingersheim.
  • PONT VIEUX 1 - Carcassonne